These evaluation criteria, a set of "red flags", chosen over months of debate:
- Sponsor(s) is a professional society that receives substantial industry funding;
- Sponsor is a proprietary company, or is undeclared or hidden
- Committee chair(s) have any financial conflict
- Multiple panel members have any financial conflict
- Any suggestion of committee stacking that would pre-ordain a recommendation regarding a controversial topic
- No or limited involvement of an expert in methodology in the evaluation of evidence
- No external review
- No inclusion of non-physician experts/patient representative/community stakeholders
William Mallon, David Newman, Kevin Klauer, myself, and many others contributed to this project.
"Ensuring the integrity of clinical practice guidelines: a tool for protecting patients"